Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pesto- Hooray!

Pesto seems fancy. It's something those unexposed are often intimidated by. Last time I brought pesto crostinis to a party, I actually heard someone say, "What's that green stuff?" I of course answered with "...a gift from God." Needless to say, he tried and loved! Shockingly, pesto is simple. This recipe calls for a food processor, but if you don't have one, I'm willing to bet a blender and some spoonage between pulses would work just fine.

So, let's start with the recipe. I use a basic one from Food Network with some alterations:
  • 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic *1
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese *2
*3 - additions


Directions

Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese. *4

1. I generally start with 2 and taste. Garlic clove size is never consistent. The best way to know if you have enough is to taste!
2. I use parmigiano reggiano. I always have it on hand, so I'm not going out of my way for Pecorino. They're both salty and work well with this recipe.
3. I like to add a squirt of fresh lemon juice to this. I think it makes it taste a little fresher and helps it to keep it's bright green color.
4. I add the cheese right into the food processor. I like to make sure everything is equally blended.

The most important thing to remember, when making basil, is to not over-process it. Just enough so the bits are similar sizes and everything is well blended. After you add something, take a small sample.. this will ensure the best pesto possible!

Here's a couple things I've created with pesto:

This is my pesto crostini.

I sliced that sourdough french bread (I have a small obsession with sourdough) thinly and toasted for a few mins in a 350° oven. I topped with the pesto, a little crumble of goat cheese and a couple chops of sun dried tomato. We are lucky enough to have an amazing vegetable market very close by, which is where I purchase fresh goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes. As I mentioned, we are lucky. Do with what you've got. I know Publix sells goat cheese, that's just fine and I'm sure there's sun dried tomatoes somewhere in those aisles... just remember, if they're in oil.. drain that off before chopping and topping. I served these at a Christmas party, perfect with the red and green! Super easy and very fancy!

Here's my version of a pesto pasta, with parmesan roasted tomatoes and some goat cheese:



Steven loves Pesto, but other than crostini I wasn't sure how to serve it to him... until I saw an episode of Barefoot Contessa in which she prepared a pesto pasta, so I decided to give it a go. I sliced a tomato or 2. Threw them on a baking sheet, topped with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and into a 350° oven while I prepped the rest (keeping an eye on them). Once the toms were ready, I pulled them out, gave them a few mins to cool, and chopped 'em up. I layered penne (not whole wheat, but a healthier blend), the roasted tomatoes, some of the pesto, and finally some goat cheese. After a couple pictures, we mixed this pasta up and divulged. The goat cheese added some tang and creaminess, the tomatoes roasted were a perfect complement to the zesty pesto. This dish was a simple example of flavor layering. It doesn't always have to be difficult to be delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment