Tuesday, February 1, 2011

12A Buoy

12A Buoy used to be this to locals:


A couple years ago, locals' idea of 12A Buoy changed. A new place opened in what was the ghost of restaurants past: Ramp Raw Bar (they moved on the island), Black Pearl (which we affectionately called Yak Hurl), etc. The new place was called 12A Buoy:


This is a locals' kinda place. Its owners and workers are all locals (I attended school with a couple of the employees and we're friends with another couple). One of our friends, Ben Lewis, is the chef there. He is, of course, not the only chef, but I know for certain that he the chef who creates my favorite thing to order: THE SPECIAL! The special is nothing specific, it changes twice a day, everyday! It is always a culinary display of Ben's skills. The dishes come to the table as first a treat to the eyes and then to the taste buds. Here are a couple samples of things we've had that I've photographed:

This is a grilled swordfish filet, atop creamed spinach and a potato pancake in a beurre blanc sauce, topped with a roasted red pepper. Hands down one of the best seafood dishes of my life (and Steven's as well!)


What you're looking at here is Chilean sea bass cheeks prepared coconut crusted and served with atop a pineapple salsa, drizzled with cilantro sour cream and a sweet chili sauce. Chilean sea bass is not very common, let alone the cheeks. Probably seems odd to those unaccustomed to seafood, but the cheeks are one of the most tender parts of a bigger fish and generally a rarity on menus so I jumped at the opportunity to order!



Here is a traditional southern fish fry, complete with collards and slaw (peeking in the background). The fish was flaky and complemented perfectly by the caribbean sauce served with it.


This is the beautifully plated ahi tuna served with pickled ginger, soy sauce, and a wonderful wasabi sauce. The best part of this dish is it tasted as amazing as it looked!


This was a special I ordered at lunch. Talk about a hearty entrée! What you're looking at here is a roasted vegetable couscous, serving as a delectable bed for a healthy cut of grouper, prepared blackened.


I try my best to end every meal at 12A with a slice of their key lime pie. This tall, white slice is, in fact, key lime pie. I know it's not the traditional, but it has changed my life. It is always sold out, so I take it when I can get it.. even if I'm stuffed full, if a slice is available, I'm taking it to go!


I have had several opportunities to try their other dishes, and have yet to try one I didn't tell everyone about. They have a new addition to the menu, fried shrimp served smothered in a sweet chile sauce. An old favorite is a lobster mac and cheese served in a personal cast iron skillet with big chunks of lobster - the perfect ratio of noodles to cheese to lobster - which I often order as my entrée. Their clam chowder is in fact a thick chowder, which several unmentioned restaurants have been lacking lately. They also have a roasted vegetable flatbread pizza, which offers the tang of goat cheese amongst the veggies.

Prior to writing this post, I poked around the internet and did some review reading. It is blatantly obvious to me that several people, who are not locals and/or are pretentious diners, took the time to write how they feel. Does 12 A have the best service? Not always, but I'll admit attending school with a waitress or 2 and knowing a chef doesn't hurt. Does 12A run out of things? Absolutely, all restaurants do. Do I blame them? No! I know how small that kitchen is and I know the capabilities for keeping fresh seafood in stock, especially in questionable weather. Also, I've been there during an hour and a half wait - you can't predict that sort of rush and always stocking enough for that kind of thing would probably mean a lot of food goes to waste.

If you are a servers in ties, martini with dinner, and/or eat in a rush kinda person then this is not the place for you. Server wear t-shirts. They only serves beer and wine. The atmosphere is relaxed and I can guarantee you will not be able to enjoy it if you are not also relaxed.

12A is located at 22 Fishermans Wharf Fort Pierce, FL 34950 and can be reached at (772) 672-4524. When I say that they are located at fisherman's wharf, it is in fact, fisherman's warf. 12A shares a parking lot with a local boat ramp. This makes it one of the ideal lunch spots for post-boating - we'll fish early, pull the boat out and park right back in our spot to grab lunch. As a local, my only request is that if you eat here PLEASE do NOT park in the long parking spots; they are intended for trucks with boat trailers! Also, 12A is closed on Tuesday - random, but true!

If you're on the Treasure Coast and interested in delicious seafood and a relaxed atmosphere, definitely give 12A a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment