Sunday, September 25, 2011

Crock Pot Baked Potato Soup

I, as well as a bajillion others, are currently pinspired. It's called Pinterest. If you don't know what it is, ask me, but make sure you have some available space on your calendar because you will only resurface for bathroom and food breaks for at least 3 days. It is incredible. It makes me feel inspired in all facets of life while very much making me feel dumb for not coming up with the simple, yet incredibly genius, ideas some of these people have! I currently pin yummy things, yummy light things, gameday ideas, holiday ideas, inspiring quotes, teacher ideas, and several different boards for our May wedding's details. Seriously, if you don't know, ask me... it will change your life.

I have made about a dozen recipes from Pinterest and have yet to be disappointed by a single one. The most recent recipe I've made and been prompted for is this Baked Potato Soup made in a crock pot. The original recipe is here.

In my opinion, the original recipe would create waaay too much food for 2 people, or 3, or 4, or 5. I don't believe my crockpot could've successfully held this recipe as a whole, so I halved the entire recipe. The amounts you see here are exactly what I used.

Ingredients:
- 2.5lbs Russet Potatoes, washed but NOT peeled. Diced into 1/2 inch(ish) cubes
- 1/2 medium to large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, whole *I used my garlic press
- 9 cups chicken stock
(or more if necessary, depending on your crock pot)
- 8 oz cream cheese *I used 1/3 less fat
- 1/2 TBS seasoned salt
- 8oz light sour cream (I added this and I think it made a big delicious difference)

Garnishes:
- Crumbled bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream

Directions:

- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, seasoning and chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 6 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Stir in the cream cheese, and sour cream, allow to melt.
- Remove and puree the garlic cloves along with 1/2 to 1/3rd of the soup, and then reintroduce to the remainder in the crock pot. *Since I crushed the garlic I didn't have to remove anything. I used an immersion blender for a little bit until it looked about half way blended, so I didn't have to deal with a blender or food processor
- Top with your choice of garnishes & serve!

Yields about 6-8 servings.

Tada!

No comments:

Post a Comment