Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving Pie

It's that time of year... it's post Thanksgiving and we've got leftovers. Everyone has leftovers. Everyone makes sandwiches. Everyone is bored!

So, I decided to go a route, not yet ventured. I took the idea of a turkey pot pie and made it my own. I essentially made a turkey pot pie/shepherd's pie hybrid. The beauty of it is, you can use what you have and do what you'd like. The most important thing, is to read this recipe all the way through, prior to preparing:

Ingredients:
stick of butter (I used light)
1-2 shallots (depending on size and amount desired)
1 tsp chopped thyme
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped leftover turkey
1 cup stuffing
2-3 cups of mashed potatoes (either leftover, from scratch, or from a packet)
1/2 cup cheese (I used brie, but I imagine mozz or provolone working well)
pie crust
salt
Optional: 1 egg, whisked with a tiny bit of water (for shiny pretty pie crust)

What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare mashed potatoes, if necessary (I made from scratch, but you don't have to)
3. Make sure you have your pie crust out and resting.. a pie crust just below room temperature is much easier to handle. (for sake of time, I use the kind in the refrigerator)
4. Sautée 1/2 stick butter and shallot over medium heat in moderate sized pan. Once translucent, add herbs. Once they are aromatic, add pecans. Once sautéed and smelling delicious, add carrots and turkey.
5. Time to start building the pie! Prepare the pie crust, by rolling out just enough so that it will be big enough to spread in a pie pan. Load up with the mashed potatoes.. as much as you'd like! Add in the pan ingredients and then top with your chosen cheese. Fold over the crust and brush with the egg mixture (if desired).
6. Bake for about 25 minutes. I say about because I have a convection oven, so that times may vary. Do yourself, and whomever else is eating this pie, check on it occasionally. Set a timer for 10 mins, and check. Then 5 and check. Then 5 and check. If it's getting close then set for 2 minutes and check. Seems annoying, but a perfect pie it totally worth it.
7. Slice and enjoy!!


The most important thing is to trust your gut. Pans, ovens, stoves, taste buds are all different. Just because something worked for me, doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. If it's looking a little dry, add some more butter. If the temp seems too hot, lower it and vice versa. It is of utmost importance that you make decisions about your preferences first! This is your meal.. I'm only providing you with what I've done, a skeleton if you will :)

Here's photos of my product:

No comments:

Post a Comment